Leading male infertility expert in Dallas discusses the importance of properly preparing for a semen analysis
The laboratories that conduct semen analysis vary in terms of skill and protocol. Led by a nationally-recognized male infertility expert, Dr. Jeffrey Buch, and guided by exacting standards, NTMIC Sperm Lab offers accurate testing that you can trust. The results from such analysis inform the treatment that ultimately leads to successful conception. It’s not unusual for patients to visit NTMIC Sperm Lab after receiving a false report of “normal fertility” from other laboratories. To assure the accuracy of your results, it’s also important to follow instructions provided by our professionals so the best sample is obtained.
Preparing for semen analysis in Dallas at our regional reference laboratory (and the only facility of its kind in the metroplex) is straightforward, convenient, and fits into your busy lifestyle. A few small steps can make a big difference in creating the family that you and your partner have always wanted:
- You should expect and be willing to discuss any drugs, prescription or otherwise, that you may be taking and that can have an effect on the results.
- Quit taking those drugs as directed by your doctor. Herbal medications such as St. John’s wort and echinacea, and hormone medications should also be avoided in the days leading up to the test and as instructed.
- Abstain from sex or ejaculating for at least 24 to 72 hours, but no more than five days before the test.
- The sample may be collected from the comfort and convenience of home or at NTMIC Sperm Lab’s discreet, private collection room. Visual aids are available.
- Take care to wash your hands and penis prior to collection. Be sure to completely remove remaining soap residue.
- Don’t use spermicide products, condoms, or lubricants that can contaminate the sample or affect the results.
- Ejaculate directly into a clean, plastic cup with a screw-on lid or the sterile container provided by NTMIC Sperm Lab. Assure the container is properly closed.
- A clean sample can’t get too cold or too warm. Hold the container close to you, such as in a pocket, so it remains at body temperature.
Deliver the sample to NTMIC Sperm Lab within 1 hour of the sample leaving your body. An appointment is required to drop it off during our regular hours. If you don’t think this is possible, contact us to discuss stress- and anxiety-free onsite collection at our facility, conveniently located across from Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Frisco, TX. Parking is adjacent to our front door. We look forward to seeing you and answering any questions you may have. Call (972) 616-4477.